Environmental Health & Safety

Chemical Inventory

Upcoming Inventory System

The UC Office of the President is currently developing an inventory tracking system called Chemicals.The beta version of the program includes mobile support and barcode scanning through the camera on your phone. Future improvements will include integration with eBuy for even easier inventory management. If you are interested in participating in the beta testing please contact the EH&S Hazardous Materials Specialist.

For more information, please contact ehshazmat@ucr.edu or review the CIS Announcement

Chemical Inventory

All chemicals at UCR are maintained in a chemical inventory database. This repository is updated by the owner of these chemicals, with oversight provided by the Hazardous Materials Specialist at Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S).


Server time out? Click here

  1. Conduct a physical inventory

    Review/count inventory of all the hazardous chemicals you have on storage. Check to make sure you know the: chemical name (i.e., Acetone), amount and unit of measure (i.e., 1 gallon), container type (i.e., glass bottle), manufacturer (i.e., Aldrich), and exact location (building/room). DO NOT REPORT: radioactive materials, biological materials (or etiological agents), or controlled substances; those are maintained in separate tracking systems.
  2. Update the Chemical Inventory online

    Login to the Chemical Inventory system to view, or update, the database of chemicals we have on file for you. Owners must declare their inventory status even if there are zero chemicals in stock when the inventory is conducted. You must also update the online chemical inventory database when you: 1) Move to a new location, 2) Acquire a new hazardous chemical, or 3) Change your inventory volumes greater than 10%.
  3. Complete the Chemical Inventory Confirmation

    Owners  must complete the Chemical Inventory Confirmation form. The form, which notifies EH&S of inventory changes, should be completed anytime a chemical inventory is updated online (anually, at minumum).
    NOTE: The form should also be completed if, at anytime, a lab owner exceeds thresholds for Department of Homeland Security
    Chemicals of Interest (6 CFR 27, Appendix A). 
  1. Go to http://ehs.ucop.edu/cis
  2. Select "University of California, Riverside" and click on "Next"
  3. Login with your UCR NetID and password
  4. Update locations
    • Click on the "Locations" tab
    • TO ADD: Click "Add Locations" to setup a new location
    • TO REMOVE: Click "Remove Location" for any rooms with no chemicals
  5. Update chemicals
    • Click on the "Chemicals" tab
    • TO ADD: Search fo the chemical and click on the arrow icon
    • TO REMOVE: Check the box next to chemicals and click on "Delete"

For more information, contact the EH&S Hazardous Materials Specialist (951) 827-6311 or refer to the CIS User Guide.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Environmental Health & Safety

Environmental Health & Safety
Environmental Health & Safety

Tel: (951) 827-5528
Fax: (951) 827-5122
E-mail: ehs@ucr.edu