Environmental Health & Safety

Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA)

UC Risk & Safety Software Applications

Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA)

Principal investigators (PIs) must obtain a Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA) to possess and use controlled substances. Controlled substances may be used on campus for the purposes of research, teaching, veterinary care, or clinical trial.


To find out if you need a CSUA, review the List of Regulated Chemicals. The application consists of the following documents:


Submit to


Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA) Application Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Apply for new research projects at the University of California Riverside. Also used to renew or update existing CSUAs (Authorized Personnel or Storage Locations).
Training Records Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Complete training in Controlled Substances for each individual listed on the CSUA

Staff Personnel Screening Data Sheet

PI Personnel Screening Data Sheet

Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Obtain approval for each individual listed on the CSUA
State of California registration (if applicable) Research Advisory Panel Apply for new, or existing research project in the State of California involving Schedule I (non-human), Schedule I or II (human), or drug abuse treatment

A completed application is required for any of the following activities:

Use. Apply for a new, or renew an existing CSUA
Users. Add or delete authorized personnel
Location. Add or delete or move storage locations (rooms or security measures)

After receipt of a CSUA application, EH&S will schedule a site visit with the Principal Investigator (PI) to ensure all storage guidlines and security controls have been met. Upon approval of a CSUA, an email notification will be sent to the Principal Investigator and Material Management to enable ordering. A CSUA is valid for 3 years, and must be renewed thereafter.

For more information, refer to the Controlled Substances program website.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Environmental Health & Safety

Environmental Health & Safety
Environmental Health & Safety

Tel: (951) 827-5528
Fax: (951) 827-5122
E-mail: ehs@ucr.edu