Environmental Health & Safety


How do I dispose?

Use the Online Tag Program to have Environmental Health & Safety pickup any unused controlled substances.

When is disposal required?

Request controlled substances disposal when:

  • Research project closes, or is terminated, and a controlled substance is still in supply
  • CSUA expires and a renewal has not been submitted
  • Principal Investigator determines a controlled substance is no longer required
  • Principal Investigator terminates employment
  • Controlled substance expires

Are there any exceptions to this process?

Pharmaceuticals. To dispose of pharmaceuticals that aren't controlled substances, dispose of it as hazardous waste with Environmental Health & Safety using the Online Tag Program.

Empty containers. Empty controlled substances bottles do not have to be collected by Environmental Health & Safety. You can dispose of empty containers in the regular trash by defacing the label.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Environmental Health & Safety

Environmental Health & Safety
Environmental Health & Safety

Tel: (951) 827-5528
Fax: (951) 827-5122
E-mail: ehs@ucr.edu