In response to the campus closure, the EH&S office is open with limited services. Critical functions related to hazardous waste, public health, and research safety are operational.
Radioactive material and controlled substances collection and delivery continue, with limited delays. For emergencies call UCPD (951) 827-5222 or dial 911 from a mobile phone.

Face Coverings are required while on campus. Staff/Faculty may request a face covering from EH&S. Students may request a face covering from The Well.




COVID-19 Updates










Updated: 03/20/2020 10:15am

Travel Restrictions For UCR Personnel
  • On March 6, 2020, the university instituted an interim policy governing university-related international travel and provided provided updated guidance for all international and domestic travel. This interim policy will remain in place for six months.

  • All non-essential domestic and international travel will be suspended, effective Monday, March 16 and until further notice.

  • Essential travel must be registered with UC Away. Travel booked through UC Connexxus are automatically registered with UC Away.  However, travel booked through other means (e.g., Expedia or directly through an airline’s website) will need to be manually registered with UC Away.
  • We strongly advise students to refrain from personal, non-essential travel (both domestic and international) during spring break. UCR recommends all domestic personal travel be registered with UC Away.
Outbound Travel Plans
International Travel
  • All non-essential international travel is suspended
  • Essential University-related international travel must be registered with UC AwayIf you are traveling for university-related business, please consider whether you can participate remotely (e.g., via online platforms or teleconference) or delay travel to a later date.
  • All essential university-related international travel to a country at travel warning level 3 or alert level 2 must request and receive advance written approval from within the cognizant organization/unit up to the Vice Chancellor or Dean, with final approval from the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor. 

If you decide to travel outside of the United States, please be aware that the CDC may issue new international travel warnings without notice, potentially resulting in limited or delayed flights and possible quarantine upon re-entry.  Please ensure that your family and friends are aware of your travel plans and how to reach you.

Domestic Travel
  • All non-essential domestic travel is suspended.
  • Essential University-related domestic travel must be registered with UC Away. Travel booked through UC Connexxus are automatically registered with UC Away.  However, travel booked through other means (e.g., Expedia or directly through an airline’s website) will need to be manually registered with UC Away.
  • The university strongly recommends that all personal domestic travel be registered with UC Away.
Inbound/Return Travel Plans

UC community members who are currently traveling on university-related business in a country designated with a CDC Warning – Level 2 and 3 Travel Notice should plan to immediately leave the area. Upon return, travelers from Level 3 countries, both for university-related business or personal travel, will likely be expected to quarantine for 14 days.  

UCR travelers will not be allowed to return to campus until after the quarantine ends.  Accordingly, faculty and staff should be in touch with their supervisors to determine measures for remote work. Similarly, students should be in contact with their instructors and academic advisors to identify appropriate measures to complete required assignments or tests.

UC Travel Insurance - COVID-19 FAQ's

The UC has arranged for employees and students traveling on official university business to be covered for a wide variety of accidents and incidents while away from the campus or primary workplace. Review the UC Travel Insurance Coverage for more information.

Who is Covered under the UC Travel Policy?
University travelers include employees, medical residents, students, fellows, and guests with travel paid by the University.  Personal travel such as vacation travel, is not covered by the UC Travel program.

How can I find out what is covered by the UC Travel policy?

The UC Travel generally covers emergency services, so routine health services would not be covered.  The most frequently used coverage is the accident medical and security extraction coverage.

With the COVID 19 crisis, the most common benefit used is the trip cancellation/interruption coverage. A summary of the benefits is located here: 

Student Travel Insurance Benefits
Staff/Faulty Travel Insurance Benefits

The benefits summary has an exclusion for “bacterial or viral infection.”  Is there coverage if I get sick due to Coronavirus and have to be hospitalized? 

Coverage decisions are made by the insurance carrier Chubb and we have been informed that Coronavirus is a medical condition, thus if the disease is contracted while traveling overseas under this policy the medical benefit coverage would respond. However, please note that Chubb would have to comply with the local quarantine protocols in such cases.  

How can I cancel my travel my registered trip?                                           

If your registered trip should be canceled and fees are incurred, complete the form below:

What if I am stranded while traveling abroad?

United HealthCare Group (UHCG) can assist stranded travelers wanting to return home. Travelers should first work with travel agent/ airline directly to book a flight. If they are not able to obtain a flight back, UHCG will work directly with travelers: . Note, even if travelers did not previously register their UC Trip, they can still obtain assistance from UHCG.


Contact Us
Have a question?

Send us an email >>

Resources for Campus

Downloadable resources for facilities, including signage. 

See resources >>


Campus Return

Information about plans for a return to campus. 

Learn more >>

How to protect yourself

Latest updates from the campus and Riverside County Public Health.

Learn more >>