COVID-19 Work Site Specific Prevention Plan
COVID-19 Work Site Specific Plan Review Process
To Update Existing Plan (Paper-based)
It is recommended to use the new template within the online system to update your WSSP.
To Update Existing Plan (Web-based)
- Once all changes have been made, scroll back to the top and select "View".
- Select the 3 dots and select "Ready for Review".
For Human Subjects Research
New IRB Applications or Modifications to Approved UCR IRB application
No Modifications to Currently IRB-approved Protocols
- Create or update Worksite Specific Plan.
|Work Environment Type||Plan Owner develops the plan (Step 1)||Routing and Approval (Step 2)||Required Additional Reviewer (Step 3)|
|Research/Lab Facility||Principal Investigator or Lead Faculty||Department Chair and Dean||Operational Continuity Workgroup|
|Research Centers/Core Facilities||Center Director||Dean or VCRED||Operational Continuity Workgroup|
|Indoor Instructional Space (classroom, lab, studio, conference room, etc.) managed by the Registrar or a department||
General Assignment Space: Registrar (lead) and Department Chair
Departmental Space: Department Chair
General Assignment Space: Provost
Departmental Space: Dean
|Operational Continuity Workgroup|
Staff Office: Supervisor
Faculty Office: Department Chair
Staff Office: Department Head, Dean or VC
Faculty Office: Dean
|Operational Continuity Workgroup|
All other work environment types managed by UCR
*Note some units must abide by specific CDPH guidelines that are beyond the scope of this template. Those units must address all additional requirements. Those units are advised to contact EH&S for consultation prior to submitting their plan including: Early Childhood Services, Healthcare Facilities, indoor K-12 youth settings
|Supervisor||Department Head, Dean or VC||Operational Continuity Workgroup|
|Non-UCR owned or managed locations such as field stations. Complete or demonstrate equivalency from host location.||Supervisor||Department Head, Dean or VC||Copy of host location worksite specific plan must be provided to Operations and Support Recovery Workgroup|
What steps do I follow?
The Plan Owner (supervisor/PI)Workgroup for review for consistency with state and campus requirements. Operational Continuity
- PLAN OWNER: Plan Owner (Principal Investigator, Department Head) is responsible for completing this plan for their work area and routing it as indicated above for initial approval to return to campus. Plan Owner must ensure all employees have familiarized themselves with this plan. Plan Owner must ensure that all employees follow the plan as it is outlined. Refusal to follow the plan will be addressed through performance management processes with Human Resources. To create a plan, follow this guide.
Obtain approval. Notify your Unit Head to go in to https://ehs.ucop.edu/safety/plan to review the plan. Approval of each Plan must be obtained by the Unit Head (Dean, Vice Chancellor, or Department Head). The Plan must be approved before employees are allowed to return to campus.
Post the Plan. Approved plans must be posted in a public area assigned to the department.
Implement the Plan. Take action on the items outlined in the Plan. All Plan Owners will be responsible for conducting periodic compliance monitoring measures such as spot checks of approved spaces to ensure that practices are compliant with the guidelines laid out in this safety plan.
Update the Plan. Regularly assess for compliance.
- UNITS HEADS: All Unit Heads (VCs, Deans, Chairs) must sign in to https://ehs.ucop.edu/safety/plan to review the plans when they are notified, assess the need to return to campus and ensure the plans are complete and meet the COVID-19 Prevention Plan requirements. Units heads must also be prepared to address compliance issues associated with not following approved plans. To conduct review, follow the Initial Reviewer Guide.
- PERSONNEL: All personnel must review and sign the plan. Electronic signature is acceptable.
Employees must familiarize themselves with this plan and routinely follow the COVID-19 prevention plan procedures.
- OPERATIONAL CONTINUITY WORKGROUP is responsible for providing consultation and verifying the completeness of plans as they are received. The workgroup is also responsible for collecting copies of each plan and distributing the plan to additional review groups or departments including but not limited to Facilities Services, HR, Compliance and the Registrar's office. EH&S may also conduct spot checks of spaces. The operations group is responsible for centrally tracking all plans for the campus. For questions and concerns related to the completion of the Plan, please contact the Operational Continuity Workgroup.
Campus Planning Framework
Worksite Specific Plan Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is the Worksite Specific Plan?
The Worksite Specific Plan is a document based on comprehensive risk assessment of the worksite and supervisors must outline how they will implement coronavirus prevention in accordance to the CDPH/CalOSHA Institutions of Higher Education guidance.
- I would like to get approval to return to campus to conduct research. Do I need to complete both the Research Ramp Up Agreement and the Worksite Specific Plan?
No. The Worksite Specific Plan provides a comprehensive risk assessment of the worksite and outlines how supervisors will implement coronavirus prevention.
- Are electronic signatures allowed?
Yes, electronic signatures will suffice.
- Who needs to sign the plan?
Complete plans and documents must include signatures from all personnel including students, graduate students, post docs, staff, visitors, etc.
- Do I need to complete the Worksite Specific Plan if I am working remotely at home and don't anticipate to return to campus? No. Since you are not physically coming to campus, you do not need to complete the worksite specific plan at this time. Prior to you returning to campus, you will need to complete all the items in the Return to Campus protocols.
- I manage a core facility and I have my own lab. Do I need to submit separate plans?
Yes. Core facilities will need to develop their own plan for their workers in the workspace. The core directors must also ensure that other users (those that are not under their direct chain of command) are aware of the core director's worksite specific assessment/mitigation measures.
- What other requirements do I need to do with the completed and signed plan?
Completed and signed plans should be posted in the labs.
- Who can I contact if I need help completing the Worksite Specific Plan?
Please contact the Operational Continuity Workgroup.
- Is this only for research activities?
No, any workers returning to campus must complete the plan. It is the supervisor's responsibility to complete the plan and have all employees review and acknowledge.
- My personnel doesn't show up when I try to add them to the Employee Acknowledgement section. How do I add them?
All first-time users need to sign in to https://app.riskandsafety.com/ with their UCR credentials to activate their accounts. Once they log in, no further actions need to be taken.
- I submitted my plan. What do I do next?
If in "draft" status, select the 3 dots and select "Ready for Review". Notify your Unit Head to sign in and review the plan. Note: the system does not automatically notify your Unit Head that a plan is ready for review. If in "pending review" status, notify your Unit Head to sign in and review the plan. Note: the system does not automatically notify your Unit Head that a plan is ready for review.