Environmental Health & Safety

Food Permit Request

All UCR students, faculty, staff, and affiliates must obtain a Temporary Food Permit whenever food or beverage is distributed or sold to the public on campus. We regulate the food or beverage given out or sold at community events on campus to protect health, prevent disease, and promote healthy practices among the public.



All individuals handling food (preparation, cooking, and/or serving) must complete the UCR Online Food Safety Training prior to submitting a food permit request application. The individual(s) must be present during the entire time that food or beverage is prepared, served, and/or sold. We recommend that you have more than one person trained from your group. For organizations serving:

Hot food: At least 3 people and everyone who is preparing or handling food must be trained
Cold food: At least 2 people and everyone who is handling food must be trained

Training completed in the last 24 months will be accepted.


Temporary Food Permits are good for one day only.


The requirement to obtain a Temporary Food Permit applies to any organization (including UCR registered clubs, organizations, non-university individuals/organizations, etc.), hosting a campus event where food or beverage is offered to the public either free or for purchase. This requirement does not apply to a campus office, department, or service unit hosting an intra-departmental event within its own facilities (i.e., staff meeting, intra-departmental birthday celebration, etc.) and a campus student organization hosting an event within their own personal residence where only members will attend.

Procedures to Request a Food Permit

Complete Training

Reserve a Space

Request a Food Permit

Receive Approved Food Permit


***NOTICE***All food permit requests should be submitted 7 business days in advance.

Approved Food Sources

All food/drink sold or distributed on campus must be pre-approved by the Purchasing Department. For more information, contact Matthew Burke at (951) 827-3095.

Fees and Use

There are currently no fees for the Food Permits for campus organizations.

Additional Information

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Environmental Health & Safety

Environmental Health & Safety
Environmental Health & Safety

Tel: (951) 827-5528
Fax: (951) 827-5122
E-mail: ehs@ucr.edu