UC Regents Agreement
On December 29, 2008, UCLA research associate Sheherbano (Sheri) Sangji was in the process of transferring a highly flammable chemical agent (tert-butyllithium, a pyrophoric chemical that ignites when exposed to the atmosphere). While conducting the transfer, the pyrophoric agent spilled onto her hands, arms, and torso; and ignited. Sangji was not wearing a laboratory coat, and suffered burns. She died from injuries on January 16, 2009.
The Los Angeles District Attorney filed a complaint alleging three felony violations against the Regents of the University of California ("UC Regents"). On July 27, 2012 the UC Regents Agreement was signed, accepting responsibility. The terms of the settlement apply to any laboratory facilities within the departments of Biochemistry and Chemistry.
PI & Lab Supervisor Responsibilities
Complete the self-certification of Laboratory Safety by completing the Laboratory Safety Hazard Assessment Tool (LHAT).
1. Complete the Laboratory Safety Fundamentals Training & retraining every 3 years.
2. Ensure Laboratory personnel complete the Laboratory Safety Fundamentals Training
|Policies and Procedures||
3. Ensure the Laboratory Safety manual is in a visible location (and includes the Chemical Hygiene Plan and SOPs)
5. Ensure SOPs have been reviewed by Qualified Personnel.
6. Sign SOPs and ensure Laboratory Personnel sign SOPs.
7. Maintain SOPs in the Laboratory Safety manual (if applicable this includes use of pyrophoric liquids.
Personal Protective Equipment
8. Complete a Hazard Assessment using the Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool.
9. Ensure PPE is A) being worn by all who occupy the laboratory area and B) decontaminated before leaving the laboratory (if in contact with hazardous materials).
|Training||1. Complete Laboratory Safety Fundamentals Training & retraining every three years.|
|Policies and Procedures||2. Sign SOPs and ensure you understand them|
|Personal Protective Equipment
3. Complete personal a Hazard Assessment using the Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool to be issued a PPE Voucher.
4. Make an appointment for PPE Fitting.
5. Ensure PPE is A) being worn by all who occupy the laboratory area and B) decontaminated before leaving the laboratory (if in contact with hazardous materials).