Events and Gatherings
In-person events, gatherings, and meetings on the UC Riverside campus are permitted. In-person research and instruction are considered essential activities.
Event hosts should consider the business need for gathering before scheduling a large in-person event not directly related to our research and instructional mission. Please also consider options such as moving your event online or outside, limiting capacity to allow for distancing, or restricting events solely for the UCR community.
These guidelines are for any event sponsored by a UCR affiliate on or off campus.
The events and gatherings guidelines were established in alignment with the following principles that have guided campus decision making on a variety of issues since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Prioritize the health and safety of all members of our campus community.
- Extend in-person education and meaningful student engagement to the greatest extent possible.
- Balance consistent decision-making at the campus level with appropriate flexibility at the organization/department level.
- Communicate clearly with the campus community.
- Prepare to adapt to ever-changing conditions.
Capacity Limits and Standards for
- No capacity limits for outdoor events
- Guests may not attend if they are feeling unwell or experiencing COVID symptoms
- No capacity limits for indoor events
- Face coverings are recommended for all participants but not required.
- Event sponsors should continue to monitor UCR guidance regarding eating/drinking at events and be prepared to adjust food and beverage options, as necessary. Please see the “Food and Beverage” section below for more information.
- Indoor events: 100% capacity
- Outdoor events: 100% capacity
Food and Beverage
There are no restrictions on food and beverage service for events. Hosts should consider alternative service styles to reduce health risk, including:
- Individually packaged food/beverages
- Boxed meals
- Steward-served buffets
Visitors and Event Guests
Guidance for visitors and event guests includes the following:
- Follow UCR face covering requirements if applicable
- Follow signage posted on buildings and doors
- Abide by all campus health and safety guidelines, which may include campus specific procedures
- All visitors/event guests should self-monitor their wellness and stay home if they are feeling unwell or experiencing COVID symptoms
Compliance Guidance for Event Hosts
- Event hosts are required to comply with all University policies and procedures related to events
- Event hosts should consider safety measures and incorporate these into their event planning:
- Observe and enforce campus face covering policies if applicable
- Inform attendees to self-monitor their wellness and stay home if they are feeling unwell or experiencing COVID symptoms
- Any additional costs related to compliance with Public Health requirements is the sole responsibility of the event sponsor
- Direct visitors and event guests to comply with the following:
- Follow signage posted on buildings and entry way doors
- Abide by event coordinator’s attendance guidelines
- Any off-campus event sponsored by a UCR affiliated organization or department should comply with all current and relevant UCR policies.