What is Chemical Inventory?
In order to protect first responders, assist in an emergency, meet our regulatory obligations, and provide the necessary safety services to the campus, EH&S needs to have an accurate report of the hazardous materials stored around campus.
At a minimum, each chemical inventory owner must do an annual inventory update that covers any reportable hazardous materials, including chemical reagents, gas cylinders, and large quantity industrial chemicals. Additionally, if your inventory changes by >10%, or is moved into a new room, an inventory update needs to be done.
CIS support ended in December 2018. If your group was previously using CIS for your chemical inventory, contact EH&S for help with transferring to RSS Chemicals.
For more information, contact the Chemical Inventory Program or call at (951) 827-5528.
- RSS Chemicals Trainings
- RSS Chemicals Getting Started and FAQs Guide - Contains the following information:
- a. Getting Started
- b. Installing the Chemicals Mobile Application
- c. Adding Inventory Managers
- d. Inventory Summary
- e. Defining Sublocations
- f. Barcoding
- g. Adding Chemicals
- h. Reconciliation
- i. RSS Chemicals Frequently Asked Questions
- RSS Chemicals: Glossary
- RSS Chemicals: Adding a Chemical Guide
- RSS Chemicals: Inventory Roles and Permissions
- Adding Gas Cylinders to your Chemical Inventory
Make sure all your chemicals have been added into UC Chemicals and have a barcode.
Each chemical container should be listed in your UC Chemicals inventory and have had its barcode scanned in. EH&S can only perform an update on properly barcoded chemicals.
Make sure all chemicals are stored where they belong.
If chemicals have been moved outside the lab or are stored out of sight, they will be missed during the update and deleted from the inventory. Additionally, wherever a chemical is stored during the update will be marked as its permanent location.
Clean up any spills or clutter and remove expired/broken containers.
If EH&S cannot reach or safely work in storage locations, the update will take much longer. Additionally, "inherently waste-like" containers (broken, expired, or otherwise damaged) will not be inventoried; please make a WASTe tag to request an EH&S pickup.
To request a demo and initial inventory, please contact email@example.com.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request more barcodes. In your email please indicate:
- your PI name,
- Building and room number you would like them delivered to,
- How many rolls you need (each roll has 500 barcodes),
- Whether you need standard size barcodes (most common), or small size (useful for <20mL containers).