In response to the campus closure, the EH&S office is open with limited services. Critical functions related to hazardous waste, public health, and research safety are operational.
Radioactive material and controlled substances collection and delivery continue, with limited delays. For emergencies call UCPD (951) 827-5222 or dial 911 from a mobile phone.

Face Coverings are required while on campus. Staff/Faculty may request a face covering from EH&S. Students may request a face covering from The Well.


This block is broken or missing. You may be missing content or you might need to enable the original module.

What are Controlled Substances?

Controlled substances are drugs or chemicals whose manufacture, possession, and use are regulated by the government. This may include illegal drugs, prescription medications, and chemical precursors. UCR currently maintains a federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration governing the use of controlled substances for research, veterinary, and teaching purposes. Environmental Health & Safety serves as Program Administrator overseeing the day-to-day activities.

For more information contact Controlled Substances or call (951) 827-5528.

Principal investigators (PIs) must obtain a Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA) to possess and use controlled substances. Controlled substances may be used on campus for the purposes of research, teaching, veterinary care, or clinical trial.

Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA) Application
Submit to:
Environmental Health & Safety
Purpose: Apply for new research projects at the University of California Riverside. Also used to renew or update existing CSUAs (Authorized Personnel or Storage Locations).

A completed application is required for any of the following activities:

Use: Apply for a new, or renew an existing CSUA
Users: Add or delete authorized personnel
Location: Add or delete or move storage locations (rooms or security measures)

After receipt of a CSUA application, EH&S will schedule a site visit with the Principal Investigator (PI) to ensure all storage guidelines and security controls have been met. Upon approval of a CSUA, an email notification will be sent to the Principal Investigator and Material Management to enable ordering. A CSUA is valid for 3 years, and must be renewed thereafter.

Personnel Screening Data Sheet

PI Personnel Screening Data Sheet

Submit to : Environmental Health & Safety
Purpose: Obtain approval for each individual listed on the CSUA

California law, pursuant to Health & Safety Code Sections §11480 & §11481, requires proposed research projects using certain opioid, stimulant, and hallucinogenic drugs classified as Schedule I and Schedule II Controlled Substances as their main study drug(s), to be reviewed and authorized by the Research Advisory Panel of California in the Attorney General's Office.

State of California Registration (if applicable)

Submit to: Research Advisory Panel of California (RAPC)
Purpose: Apply for new, or existing research project in the State of California involving Schedule I (non-human)Schedule I or II (human), or drug abuse treatment

If a chemical you require for research is classified as a controlled substance, you must apply for a Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA) before work can begin. At UCR, DEA Controlled Substances, DEA List I Chemicals, and California Precursor Chemicals are all treated as controlled substances.

DEA Controlled Substances Schedule
A CSUA is required for any chemical listed in the Controlled Substances Schedule. Note the Controlled Substance Schedule Number ("CSA Sch") and DEA Number for the chemical you require. Controlled Substances: Psychotropic drugs and precursors regulated under the Federal Controlled Substances Act and the California Uniform Controlled Substances Act. Not all drugs are considered controlled substances. Examples of drugs that are not controlled substances are Donepezil, Xylazine, and Atropine.

DEA List I Chemicals
CSUA is required for List I chemicals only. List II chemicals have controls that are subject to high threshold amounts which generally don't apply to normal campus users. Listed chemicals: Chemicals that may be used to manufacture controlled substances. Listed chemicals are regulated in order to prevent the illicit manufacture of controlled substances

Precursor Chemicals
CSUA is required for all precursor chemicals identified by the State of California Department of Justice as Precursor Chemicals. Precursor chemicals: Compounds that are required in the synthetic or extraction processes of drug production, and become incorporated into the drug molecule. Not used in the production of cocaine or heroin. The California Department of Justice considers these substances able to produce controlled substances.

Review the definitions for controlled substances for more information

Controlled Substances eCourse
Length: 40 minutes
Submit to: Environmental Health & Safety
Purpose: Complete training in Controlled Substances for each individual listed on the CSUA

Controlled substances may only be purchased by authorized users (or Environmental Health & Safety). Purchases must be processed as "requisitions" using the eBuy Purchasing system (Procurement Card or DAPO purchases are prohibited). To gain access to the system, ask your department's System Access Administrator (SAA) to grant you access to the eBuy Purchasing application using the Enterprise Access Control System.

Submit a Purchase Requisition

1. Go to R'Space

  1. Login with your UCR NetID and password
  2. Click on "Purchasing (eBuy)" under the Authorized Applications section
  3. Click on "Create Request"
  4. Enter the following information

> User contact: Authorized user's name
> Order description: Whether the use is for Research or Teaching
> Description (for each line): Controlled Substance name
> UOM (Unit of Measure): Size of container (i.e., 10 ml, 100 g, etc.)

All controlled substances must be ordered separately from other items. Schedule III, IV, and V substances may be included on a single requisition. Material Management will complete DEA Form 222 for any orders involving Schedule I or II substances.

After Environmental Health & Safety reviews and approves your request, your order will be placed by Procurement directly with the manufacturer on your behalf. Monitor the control number (Ctrl #) in the eBuy Purchasing system to track your order. For more information, please contact Katherine Inglett-Mendoza (951) 827-3023 in Procurement. For assistance with the eBuy system refer to the eBuy Tutorials and Video training for Requestors or contact Procurement.

Schedule Pickup

Controlled substances are delivered directly to Environmental Health & Safety first. EH&S will then contact the PI to schedule a time to pickup their order from the EH&S building. Only Authorized Personnel can sign for, or receive, the order. After receiving your order, return directly to the approved secure storage location and secure the shipment until it's needed.

NOTE: A "gift" of controlled substances from a company or an agency must go through the same request and approval process even if zero dollars are involved.

Plan Ahead

Controlled substances are obtained from suppliers and there is no on-site stock. Plan to order quantities sufficient for a 3-6 month period to minimize expired waste and risk of theft. Allow time for delivery:

Schedule II: 3 weeks
Schedule III, IV, and V: 10 days
Listed Chemicals: 20 days
Precursor Chemicals: 30 days (California Department of Justice places a mandatory 21 day waiting period on all California Precursor orders)
*Timeframe may be impacted depending on whether the hazard class of these chemicals requires shipment by ground transportation.

Environmental Health & Safety will conduct annual audits of controlled substances inventories. Ensure that your use logs and biennial inventory forms are stored in the Use Log binder. Federal DEA regulations prohibit shipping controlled substances to other institutions or facilities in most cases. For exceptions, such as chemically inactivated controlled substances, contact Environmental Health & Safety (951) 827-5528.

Find out how to maintain an accurate inventory of controlled substances. Learn about ordering and managing controlled substances inventory, and maintaining a use log binder.

Keep a Use Log Binder

Use Logs

Biennial Inventory Requirement

The University and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) requires an inventory be conducted and documented every 2 years. Principal Investigators (PIs) must declare their inventory status even if there is zero controlled substances in stock when biennial inventory is taken. Environmental Health & Safety will notify the PI and lab contact(s) by email with a specific date and instructions in advance when the biennial inventory is due. NOTE: If the biennial inventory is not received after 3 attempts, the Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA) will be suspended and Material Management notified to stop any orders for controlled substances.

Document the biennial inventory with the Biennial Inventory Form. Make sure to keep a copy of the completed form in your use log binder

Deactivated CSUAs

If you no longer need controlled substances, submit an email to Kyle Soliz and include the date that you wish to delete or deactivate a previously approved CSUA. There can be no remaining items in inventory when a CSUA is deleted.

Contact Kyle Soliz to request Environmental Health & Safety pick up any unused controlled substances.

When is disposal required?

Request controlled substances disposal when:

Research project closes, or is terminated, and a controlled substance is still in supply

CSUA expires and a renewal has not been submitted

Principal Investigator determines a controlled substance is no longer required

Principal Investigator terminates employment

Controlled substance expires

Are there any exceptions to this process?

Pharmaceuticals. To dispose of pharmaceuticals that aren't controlled substances, dispose of it as hazardous waste with Environmental Health & Safety using the WASTe Program.

Empty containers. Empty controlled substances bottles do not have to be collected by Environmental Health & Safety. You can dispose of empty containers in the regular trash by defacing the label.

If there is suspected theft or significant loss of controlled substances, List I chemicals, or Precursors you must immediately notify:

Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S)

(951) 827-5528

University of California Police Department (UCPD)

(951) 827-5222 

In response, EH&S will report to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) within 24 hours (21 CFR §1301.91) using DEA Form 106. UCPD will file a police report to document the theft or loss. Reports will be kept confidential to the extent permitted by law and other University policies.

Ketamine Vial image