Face Coverings are required while on campus. Staff/Faculty may request a face covering from EH&S. Students may request a face covering from The Well.


Field Safety

Field Operations Safety Manual

 Safely working and conducting research outdoors, off-campus, and abroad.

 For more information or questions, please contact Pamela See at EH&S at (951) 827-5528.

How do I know if I need a field safety plan?

A field safety plan serves as a tool to document your hazard assessment, communication plan, emergency procedures, and required training.  Developing and using a field safety plan is part of the Cal/OSHA requirement of an effective Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP) for the following activities:

  • Doing field research or teaching field courses off campus, 
  • Work or courses involving wildlife, and
  • Work performed at field stations or nature reserves. Established site procedures may by available, but should be supplemented with a safety plan for potential risks specific to your research or tasks.


How do I create a Field Safety Plan?

Fill out the EH&S Field Safety Plan Template. Attach related documents as appropriate.


Note: It is recommended that you start this process early in the planning stages of your field work to allow time to gather information, identify controls needed, and document training. Sections include:

  • Site location and description
  • Emergency services at the site
  • Modes of travel and site access
  • First aid considerations
  • Travel preparations
  • Participants and contact information

The Worldcue Trip Planner can help provide many location-specific details, e.g. endemic disease risks, local hospitals, and security alerts. When trips are registered at UC Away, travelers receive an email from Worldcue that provides a direct link to a personalized trip brief. Alternatively, you may access the Worldcue Trip Planner directly and use the ‘Location Intel’ tab to create a ‘Trip Brief’ or a ‘Security Brief.’


How do I sign up for travel alerts?

If you are travelling more than 100 miles from campus, register your trip at UC Away for travel insurance documentation. Shortly after registration, you will receive an email from Worldcue that provides a direct link to a personalized “Trip Brief.” If conditions change, or security alerts are issued while you are traveling, you will receive location-specific alerts via email from Worldcue (storm warnings, civil unrest, disease outbreak alert, etc.).


How do I know what training I need to take? 

Please take the following trainings:

Upon request, EH&S can provide in-person Heat Illness Prevention training and assist with development of your Field Safety Plan.  Other training may also be required depending on your planned activities, e.g. fall protection, ATVs, hazardous materials shipping, etc.  Please email ehs@ucr.edu

How do I prepare for my trip?    

  1. Complete a field safety plan.  
  2. Complete Heat Illness, First Aid, or other training as appropriate for your location or tasks.
  3. Obtain immunizations if recommended for your destination. 
  4. Hold a pre-trip meeting to review your field safety plan, travel logisitcs, pack list (including first aid kit), etc. and cover any remaining training needs.
  5. Register trips via UC Away for travel alerts, travel insurance documentation, and evacuation services.