Laboratory Safety Evaluation Program
Laboratory safety evaluations provide an opportunity to assist departments, faculty, staff and students to identify and correct potential health and safety hazards in research and teaching laboratories. Laboratory safety evaluations are conducted annually by EH&S personnel to ensure that each laboratory conforms with the safe and healthy work conditions and practices as identified in in the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP), UCR's Chemical Hygiene Plan, federal and state regulations, standards and UC policies.
In an effort to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and reduce the potential exposure between EH&S staff memebers and laboratory personnel, EH&S is splitting the evaluation into two components:
- An in-person visit to your lab space to look at the physical space (1 hour). If possible, this can be done when no one is working in the lab to minimize contact. If PIs or delegate would like to be present, this can be accommodated.
- A follow-up Zoom call to discuss any findings, and cover any administrative items such as training and research approvals (1 hour).
EH&S has designed a new system to schedule appointments for evaluations. Your EH&S Department Representative will reach out directly to PIs to initiate the process, and direct links to schedule an appointment will be provided. Apointments will be scheduled using this appointment system.
The following instructions will be provided to schedule the appointment:
- Select a date and time for the in-person visit that works best for your lab when no one is present or minimal activity will occur.
- Enter the requested information about the location of certain items.
- To schedule the Zoom call, click “Add Another Booking.”
- Select “Lab Safety Evaluations,” then “Step 2: Lab Safety Evaluation (zoom)”
- Select the time that works best for you or your delegate to meet via zoom. This date should be scheduled within 7 business days after the in-person visit.
- Select “Confirm booking” to book both appointments.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps to an Effective Laboratory Safety Evaluation
Perform a workplace hazard assessment using the Laboratory Hazard Assessment (LHAT)
Complete all required training courses
Ensure all lab personnel wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in accordance to lab hazard assessment and UCOP Policy
Review/Update/Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
Update chemical inventory for each assigned location using UC Chemicals
Update Emergency placard using the eContact system
Provide access to Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
Review the laboratory evaluation checklist
Dispose of hazardous waste properly by accessing the Waste Accumulation Storage Tracking (WASTe) system
Guide for Completing Training in a Laboratory Setting
- Review and complete the Laboratory Site Specific Training Checklist for each lab personnel.
- Identify and complete additional required training based on hazards present in the laboratory.
- Review the Laboratory Safety Manual, which include the Injury & Illness Prevention Plan, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), etc.
- Document training.
|Biomedical Sciences||Pamela See|
|Botany and Plant Sciences||Pamela See|
|Chemical and Environmental Engineering||Patrick Monnig|
|Computer Science and Engineering||Ondra Carter|
|Earth and Planetary Sciences||Ondra Carter|
|Electrical and Computer Engineering||Ondra Carter|
|Environmental Sciences||Ondra Carter|
|Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology||Tran Phan|
|Mechanical Engineering||Patrick Monnig|
|Microbiology and Plant Pathology||Pamela See|
|Molecular, Cell, and Systems Biology||Tran Phan|
|Physics and Astronomy||Patrick Monnig|