EH&S evaluates workplaces for possible airborne hazards and recommends ways to reduce these hazards when found. When appropriate, EH&S will fit campus workers with respirators and provide annual training on their proper use. EH&S evaluates a person's ability to safely wear a respirator prior to a respirator being issued in accordance with Cal/OSHA regulation 8 CCR 5144.
Voluntary Respirator Use is characterized by the employee requesting to use an N95 respirator when not required by the employer.
Mandatory Respirator Use is characterized by the employer requiring the employee to wear an N95 respirator when performing potentially hazardous activities.
Reference the table below to determine whether to submit a Voluntary Use or Mandatory Use respirator request.
For more information contact email@example.com.
Examples of Voluntary Respirator Usage
Examples of Mandatory Respirator Usage
Respiratory Protection Resources
COVID-19 Guidance for Respiratory Protection
Staff specific guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Recommended Guidance for Extended Use and Limited Reuse of N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators in Healthcare Settings
- Healthcare Supply of Personal Protective Equipment
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of PPE
- Proper Donning and Doffing of PPE for COVID-19 Protection in Healthcare
- 3M COVID-19 Information Page
and public guidance
- COVID-19 Campus News & Updates
- From the Center for Disease Control:
- How To Protect Yourself
- Schools, Workplaces & Community Locations
- 3M General Public Respiratory Protection COVID-19 FAQ
Resources & Forms
- Appendix D to 29 CFR 1910.134 (Non- Mandatory) and 8 CCR 5144 (Non- Mandatory)
- EH&S Respiratory Protection Voluntary Use Affidavit
- Filter and Cartridge Change Out Schedule
- Porta Count Respirator Fit Test SOP (Coming Soon)
- Procedures for Respirator Care and Maintenance
- Respiratory Protection Decision Logic Sequence
- Respiratory Protection Request Link (Respiratory Hazard Evaluation)
- Respiratory Protection – Online Training Link
- “Simply Book” Fit-Test Appointment System Link